I don't know if it might help but there is already a ReferenceTracker class
used in WorkspaceImporter. Maybe you could extend it and reuse it.

why should that help improving the changelog in respect to references?
this tracker does something completely different. it records altered
uuids of imported nodes in order to be able to adjust the reference
properties.

regards, toby

BR,
Nicolas