Hi Jukka,

I agree that these internal interfaces - particularly PeristenceManager
comes to my mind - we initially created to solve problems at a very early
stage of Jackrabbit development. Later they gained momentum and span off
their own life in a way, they were never intended to be used. As such, I am
particularly concerned with these interfaces, that they constitute some kind
of de-facto API (as opposed to the real API in the o.a.j.api package or
javax.jcr as a whole) but never have been treated as API. Fortunately
though, they remained relatively fixed.

I agree to seriously consider these internal interfaces and look at their
value nowadays. Yet, if it is decided to walk away from them some kind of
backwards compatibility may certainly be built using some bridges -
performance is probably not the primary goal in backwards compatibility
szenarios.

Yet, another problem you are actually bringing up is the configuration of
Jackrabbit at large: I think the current way of configuring Jackrabbit is
not flexible enough and needs a rework, too (hasn't this been said before
:-) ). Maybe your concerns (apart from the PersistenceManager problems) is
mainly an issue of how configuration is taking place ?

Just my €.02

Regards
Felix