Marcel Reutegger wrote:
Thomas Mueller wrote:
use javacc for SQL2 parsing

I would use a hand-written recursive descent parser. I know I'm
probably the only one suggesting this...

what are the advantages of a hand-written parser over a generated one?

probably performance, but are there other?

I my view the goal should be to make it as easy as possible for people to understand the jackrabbit code and contribute to it, without significantly sacrifying performance or reinventing the whole wheel. It's maybe easy to understand the javacc grammar once you know javacc but it still is a hurdle to jump the first time. I'm still unable to contribute to the parser because I had no time yet to thoroughly learn javacc. We just went back from antlr to hand-written java code for a very simple query language we use. The resulting code was much simpler (less code), better to understand and was more flexible in regards of how tokens are handled in different contexts. All this need not apply to JCR-SQL2. So I can't judge what is the best way to implement the parser.

Cheers,
Christoph