Marcel Reutegger wrote:

I'd like to keep a move operation cheap but I also agree that hierarchical query operations need to be improved.

Same here. Making move operations expensive is a very high price for getting fast queries. Although I'm not sure how common the usecase of moving big subtrees is?

we should definitively try to execute such queries in a reasonable time. I think this is a very common use case. can you please create a jira issue? I'm not sure if the hierarchy is the issue here or just the fact that lots of nodes need to be ordered. do you have more insight on this?

Ordering should be ok since we resolved JCR-974. Although it would still be nice to have a less memory intensive solution (all FieldCaches are hold in memory).

Obviously, this only works when I index a node's path in some lucene
field. So a node with path /documents/en/news/2007/10/14/item.xml

would have lucene Field that contains the terms

'/documents/en/news/2007/10/14/item.xml'
'/documents/en/news/2007/10/14'
'/documents/en/news/2007/10'
'/documents/en/news/2007'
'/documents/en/news'
'/documents/en'
'/documents'

maybe this approach can be turned into a clever hierarchical cache? without the need to index the whole path with a node.

My hope is that we find exactly that kind of clever cache ;) I even think we should make this one persistent because you have to read every node to build it and I think it might consume to much memory for big repositories (at least if we keep the paths human readable like above).

Maybe I have some time on Friday to think about it. But maybe Ard is faster to come up with a solution ;))

Cheers,
Christoph