Hi,

A notable part of our codebase is stuff that works on top of the JCR
API without a direct relation to the Jackrabbit repository
implementation. Having this code in Jackrabbit is one key driver for
example in the desire to make our release process more componentized.
It also makes the "What is Jackrabbit?" question harder to answer and
looks weird in JCR client applications that have a direct dependency
to "Jackrabbit" even if it's just jackrabbit-jcr-commons.

David just brought up the idea of splitting such general purpose JCR
code out of Jackrabbit. One way to do it would be to create a "JCR
Commons" subproject within Jackrabbit, and another would be to propose
starting a "Commons JCR" component in Apache Commons.

WDYT?

BR,

Jukka Zitting