Hi,

Picking up a topic from last summer...

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 2:36 PM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 3:14 PM, Stefan Guggisberg
> <stefan.guggisb...@day.com> wrote:
>> i'd be ok with moving to java 5 if we get agreement in the jcr 283 eg
>> to raise the system requirements as well.
>
> I'll bring the issue up with the expert group. Basically, I see four options:
>
> 1) JSR 283 specifies Java 5 as the platform for JCR 2.0
> 2) JSR 283 allows the reference implementation to be Java 5 -based
> even if the spec and the TCK are based on Java 1.4
> 3) We use Java 1.4 up to the point when the JSR 283 RI is branched,
> and upgrade to Java 5 for the Jackrabbit 2.0 release (i.e. we wouldn't
> use many Java 5 features in 2.0, but would open the door for more Java
> 5 stuff in other 2.x releases)
> 4) We stick with Java 1.4 for now
>
> My personal preference would be option 2 or 3, depending on what the
> JSR 283 EG thinks.

There were no big passions about this in the EG, but it seems clear
that the JSR 283 spec itself will still use Java 1.4 as the base
platform.

I would propose that we go with option 2, i.e. make Jackrabbit 2.0
require Java 5. This will give us a number of nice language features,
many new standard library features (most notably
java.util.concurrent), and avoids problems with dependencies that
already require Java 5. Also, Sun's Java 1.4 reached End Of Service
Life status three months ago (after a two-year transition period), so
there is a strong case for not needing support the platform anymore.

BR,

Jukka Zitting