Dominique,

Thank for your reply. Seems to me, no inconsitence in your sample.
1. CN1 (/a)
2. CN1 (/a/b)
3. CN2 (/a/b)
4. CN1 (/a/b/c)

For Step 3: before CN2 update /a/b, it has to wait for CN1 finish the step2,
since /a/b is globally locked by CN1. After CN2 acquires the lock, following
current logic, CN2 will call sync( ) method to get CN1's /a/b, then merge
them, then persist /a/b.

For Step 4: before update, CN1 will do sync( ) to get CN2's /a/b, then
merge. So /a/b/c is still consistent.

Per your suggestion, globally lock on one itemstate is not safe. Instead of
, we should lock on a kind of path prefix (pattern). For instance, if a CN
locks on "/a/b", then "/a/c" can be updated by other CN concurrently.

Please correct me if any misunderstanding. Thanks again.