Hi,

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 11:59 AM, Felix Meschberger <fmesc...@adobe.com> wrote:
> I always thought, what Jackrabbit currently does is required ...

The spec is pretty flexible. The current Jackrabbit implementation is
just one interpretation of it.

> So we (thinking of Sling amongst other things) might have to adapt
> our event listeners to do a Session.refresh at the beginning of the
> onEvent method (in case long lived sessions are used).

For obvious reasons a snapshot-based implementation would need to
implicitly call refresh(true) on a session before delivering
observation events.

> Sure. I think the main problem with long lived sessions I know of
> (in Sling based applications) is with Observation Listeners which
> are quite isolated and can be "fixed" easily -- there just has to
> be awareness.

The above approach should limit the impact on observation listeners.

Also, to help prevent issues with other kinds of long-lived sessions,
it might be a good idea to have a configurable auto-refresh policy.

BR,

Jukka Zitting