On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 7:44 PM, Michael Dürig <mdue...@apache.org> wrote:

> [...]
>
> * Order on paths: let p, q be paths.
>  - p < q iff p != NIL and q != NIL and p is an ancestor of q.
>  - p <= q iff p < q or p == q != NIL
>
> * Conflict of paths: let p, q be paths.
>  - p ~ q (p conflicts with q) iff either p <= q or q <= p
>
> * Substitution in paths: let p, q, r be paths.
>  - [p -> q]r = r if p is not an ancestor of r and
>  - [p -> q]r = s where s is the path resulting from replacing
>    the ancestor p in r with q otherwise.
>
> * Let p, q be paths. Then p:q denotes a move operation where the
>  node at p is moved to a new node at q.
>
> * Valid moves: leq p, q be paths.
>  - p:q is valid iff p !~ q or p = q
>  - if p:q is not valid, it is invalid
>
> Invalid moves are exactly those which would result in a node being moved to
> an ancestor/descendant of itself.
>
> * Identity on moves: let p, q be paths.
>  - p:q = ID iff p = q.
>
> * Conflict on moves: let p, q, r, s be paths.
>  - p:q ~ r:s (p:q conflicts with r:s) iff either p ~ r or p ~ s
>    or q ~ r or q ~ s.
>
> * Strict commutativity of moves: let m, n be moves.
>  - m * n = n * m iff m !~ n
>
> * Substitutions in moves: let p, q, r, s be paths.
>  - [p -> q]r:s = [p -> q]r:[p -> q]s
>
> * Let p be a path and let +p denote an add node operation and let -p
>  denote a remove node operation for a node at path p.
>  - +p = NIL:p That is, adding a node is represented by a move from a
>    unknown source.
>  - p = p:NIL. That is, removing a node is represented by a move to an
>    unknown sink.
>

> Let m = p:q, n = r:s with p, q, r, s != NIL be valid moves with m != ID and
> n != ID. Then the following reduction and commutation rules apply:
>
> 1.  p!~ r:  m * n = n * m
> 2.  p < r:  illegal (since this implies q <= r which implies p ~ q and
>            thus m invalid)
> 3.  p = r:  illegal (since this implies q <= r which implies p ~ q and
>            this m invalid)
> 4.  p > r:  does not commute if q < s. Otherwise m * n = n * [r -> s]m
> 5.  p!~ s:  m * n = n * m
> 6.  p < s:  illegal (since this implies p ~ q and thus m invalid)
> 7.  p = s:  does not commute
> 8.  p > s:  illegal (since p > s implies there is an s already which
>            will conflict with r:s)
> 9.  q!~ r:  m * n = n * m
> 10. q < r:  m * n = [q -> p]n * m
> 11. q = r:  m * n = p:s (transitivity of moves)
> 12. q > r:  m * n = n * [r -> s]m
> 13. q!~ s:  m * n = n * m
> 14. q < s:  does not commute if p > r. Otherwise m * n = [q -> p]n * m
> 15. q = s:  illegal (since s conflicts with r:s)
> 16. q > s:  illegal (since s conflicts with r:s)
>
> Allowing add node and remove node operations the following additional
> conditions apply:
>
> Let m = p:q, n = r:s be valid moves with m != ID and n != ID. Then the
> reduction and commutations rules 1. to 16. apply with extra conditions on
> 4., 10., 12. and 14.:
>
> 4'.  if s = NIL and q = NIL then m * n = -r. Otherwise if s = NIL then

sounds very complicated ;) i admit that i don't
fully understand it (ok, i didn't try very hard
and gave up somewhere in the middle).

could you please provide a simple example?

what is the benefit of this approach compared
to the imlementation in jackrabbit-core
(which does consolidate transient changes)?

cheers
stefan