On 23 September 2011 15:20, Milamber <milam...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've relaunched some tests with a new SimpleTest.jmx version which
> generate an unique URL for each request (in attachment)
> I did a analysis with wireshark to find the "retries GET" (same unique
> url call 2 times)
>
> NB "retries GET" means: GET /unique_url at end of TCP conversations
> without response, and a new retry GET /unique_url at the begin of TCP
> conversations
>
> Results (with 2.5.1RC1):
>
> a) Java and HC3.1 (and HC4) have "retries GET"
>
> b) The load test make ~15745 requests.
>
> * With Java : 670 "retries GET"
>
> * With HC3.1 (retrycount default) : 536 "retries GET"
>
> * With HC4 (retrycount force to 3) : 571 "retries GET"

Were any requests retried *more* than once in any of the implementations?
It would be interesting to know if the Java implementation can retry
more than once.

> I suppose that the retrycount default value to 3 (or 1) is needed for HC4.

For backwards compatibility (and compatibility with HC3), then we
should choose 3.
I asked on the HC mailing list, and the choice of 3 was arbitrary.

For compatibility with Java we should probably set them both to 1.

I think 1 might be the best compromise - should catch most errors.

In any case, we need to document the settings.
I'll add some text to component reference shortly.