One must take care to not mix two concepts: reporting and monitoring. Reporting uses sysout or files and reports the outcomes of the stories down to step level. Monitoring is more technical and typically has a silent no-op impl. It typically is used for debugging.

Looks like you may be looking to have a logging impl of monitoring. That could be achieved easily.

On 12/05/2014 20:54, Alex Filatau wrote:
>> "What use case are you trying to satisfy? Having say debug-level logging being always written to a file in the background?"

That's actually a good question. I was considering to implement something for me project that will allow main output (steps executed etc) to still use System.out, but some information (mostly debug and performance related, like request/response chatter in API tests) to be logged in background to some file so that in case of a need I could always open that separate log and get info I was dumbing there for debug purposes.

I was planning to use independent logger implementation slf4j not using JBehave classes for this, but not wandering if it makes sense to provide own implementation for StepMonitor indeed. From your experience, what would be some pro and contra here?

Regards,
Alex.