I have had several cases where I have unions of service calls.  since the
service calls take time and since the operation is not sensitive to the
order of the items being unioned I was thinking of implementing a union
operation for service endpoints such that both endpoints would be opened
and the results fed into the result stream as they are returned.  This
wiould involve a polling mechanism on the connections to see if there was a
result available.  First available data element is added to the result and
the polling continues.

pseudo code something like

create a list of connections.
loop:
 poll each connection
    if connection finished close
    if connection has data add to result
 if there are connections still open go to loop;

I think that this would improve performance when used with multiple service
calls.  It may also improve performance across slower storeage devices.

Thoughts?

Claude

<http://like-like.xenei.com>