The problem was with test code and was a misplaced not in an if statement
(as I said, I don't know how it would have worked in the first place).  I
also don't know how it would work for the in-memory tests but not the TDB
tests.  To quote Alice: "Curiouser and Curiouser"

Claude

<http://like-like.xenei.com>