Ah right. To summarise what is happening:

The POM file in the maven repo is not the POM file in git.The shade plugin produces a different POM for the the output artifact with the shaded dependency removed.

When the project is not open, Eclipse sees the reduced POM, which does not have a <dependency> on Google Guava.

When the module jena-shaded-guava is open in Eclipse, Eclipse sees the POM in the module source which names the dependent Google Guava in a <dependency>.

Result: a certain degree of chaos.

        Andy

Yes, you would need to keep the jena-guava project closed so you get the
Maven-built shaded jar on the classpath, which has the shaded package name,
otherwise you will just see the upstream Guava through Eclipse's project
sharing.

The package name is not shaded for OSGi, it is easy to define private
packages there. It is shaded to avoid duplicate version mismatches against
other dependencies with "the real guava", e.g. Hadoop which as you know has
an ancient Guava.

It might be good to keep it out of the normal build/release cycle, then you
would get the jena-guava shade from Maven central, which should only change
when we upgrade Guava, in which case it could be re-enabled in the SNAPSHOT
build or vote+released as a separate artifact (which might be slightly odd
as it contains no Jena contributions beyond the package name)