Hi,

(this question is motivated by the ongoing Data Shapes WG, but I don't speak on their behalf).

Jena and other APIs such as Sesame support the concept of pre-binding variables prior to SPARQL execution, using QueryExecution.setInitialBinding(). This is convenient to reuse parameterized queries, especially with blank nodes.

Question: is there any formal basis of this functionality, formulated so that it can be implemented by other platforms too? I can see that it populates the original bindings that are passed through the algebra objects, but what would be the best way to explain this by means of concepts from the SPARQL 1.1 spec?

Thanks
Holger