How are we looking for Jena 3.7.0?

I can RM. Don't let me stop anyone else but changes in Fuseki for custom services will help me so this is $job time.

I suggest we email users@ to say we are hoping to release in the coming weeks (no specific date), and say "please test (=> "this is your last chance this cycle") and also send the Java9 message.

I have web site documentation updates for Txn and for RDFConnection to do.

    Andy

42 JIRA resolved this release:
https://s.apache.org/jena-3.7.0-jira

In-progress:
* JENA-1501, #375 : systemd init file. (ready to go)
Others?

Status?:
* PR#368 "Return Model from PrefixMapping methods" JENA-1495
* JENA-1499 : PR done, JIRA open - is there work still in progress?
* PR#330 : Obfuscation Support

Lib upgrades: none.

** No jena-maven-tools (broken by Apache v19)

Material to go toward the ANN (this is notes, not the text)

------------------

** Java9: Running on a Java9 platform is supported - language requirement remain Java8. More below.

JENA-1461 - Allow ARQ custom functions to be written in JavaScript
http://jena.apache.org/documentation/query/javascript-functions.html

JENA-1458, JENA-1483 - Transaction Promotion
http://jena.staging.apache.org/documentation/txn/

The fully transactional storage (TDB, TIM,TDB2) now support transaction promotion from "read" to "write", reducing the need for write transactions when they may not be needed.

JENA-1435 - Provide extensibility of Fuseki with new services

JENA-1453 - Lucene indexes using a graph field are smaller

This release includes updates to the Jena Lucene integration that reduces the size of the documents indexed by Lucene and reduces the size of the resulting indexes. Re-indexing is not necessary as the changes are compatible with existing indexes. Additionally, there is an optional output argument for text:query that allows to retrieve the graph that contains a result triple. See the updated
http://jena.apache.org/documentation/query/text-query.html

JENA-1391: Add methods for ModelCollectors to API in ModelUtils

JENA-1492
Transactions now passed down for nested models.

JENA-1490
Working with Blank Nodes with Fuseki

JENA-1482 Robustness checks for (mis)use of TDB
"Add testing when creating Bindings to catch null values earlier. "

== API

JENA-1389
Return `this` rather than `void` from Dataset
JENA-1495
PR#368 "Return Model from PrefixMapping methods"

** Java9

Java8 is the current LTS version of Java and receives security updates. The next LTS is Java11. [Sched]

[Sched] http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html

There are different cases for running with Java9:

[1] Run on a Java9 JVM
[2] Build using Java9 JDK, output Java8 classfiles.
[3] Java9 required - language features and runtime library
[4] Java9 modules

[1] at Jena 3.7.0, running with a Java9 platform (except as noted below) is supported.

[2] at Jena 3.7.0, running maven using Java9 to produce Java8 bytecode is supported (expect as noted). We now run a Jenkins job daily to check this for the main jars.

[3] The project has no current plans to require a Java9 language runtime. The language requirement is still Java8.

[4] Jena jars can work as automatic modules but Jena itself does not provide a "modules" version. Proper migration needs all the dependencies to be modules, and also has implications on the upstream. Contribution and discussions are welcome!

For discussion and background see

[A] http://blog.joda.org/2017/05/java-se-9-jpms-automatic-modules.html
[B] http://blog.joda.org/2017/04/java-se-9-jpms-module-naming.html

And note: Java 9 is obsolete March 2018, as soon as java10 comes out.
http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jdk/10/#Schedule

Notes:

jena-elephas depends on Hadoop that depends on jdk.tools that is not available in Java9.