I'd prefer (2). It's clean and it _uses_ VC instead of working around it.

My only concern is that we should do it before people have a chance to fork,
because they'll want to do that as late as possible. But we can ameliorate that
by just making a couple of loud announcements first. We might want also to make
a point of pointing at replacements, even if they seem obvious to us.

ajs6f