On Jan 17, 2012, at 4:10 PM, sebb wrote:

> IMO Maven works well for some projects, particularly single component
> (module) builds.
> Multi-module Maven does not work as well; in particular the test phase
> requires the project to be (re)installed first.

Understood.  I like Steve Ebersole's writeup of such issues he encountered with
Hibernate [1].  On the other hand I maintain a 20 module Maven build at my
company, having converted it from Ant a few years back, and have no regrets and
minimal issues.

> JMeter dependencies don't tend to change very frequently, so the
> question is: is the effort required to introduce Ivy/MAT worth it?

Good question, I can only offer anecdote.

Before moving my company's build to Maven I first tried the Maven Ant Tasks and
then Ivy.  The situation was that we had a large (50+) and frequently changing
list of direct and transient dependencies.  With no way to comprehend all the
relationships it was proving a maintenance nightmare to not use a dependency
manager.  MAT proved lacking in needed functionality at the time, so that
attempt was short lived.  With Ivy I can't remember the specifics, but I
remember hitting enough issues and struggling with the documentation such that
one day I just gave up and switched the entire build to Maven.  I'd have to say
that for either MAT or Ivy to be worth it they'd need to have matured since
then.  It's encouraging to see there is now Sonatype and Apache documentation
on publishing to Maven repositories with them: [2], [3].

If JMeter has a small and unchanging set of dependencies then the situation is
different.  I'd only add that with any dependency management system the
correctness of the declared relationships is everything, and with Maven you
generally get one chance to get it right when publishing a given version to
Central.  Tomcat has fewer external dependencies than JMeter I believe, and yet
in my experience the Tomcat POMs aren't always right.  I'm proposing that MAT
or Ivy might lead to higher quality POMs being published by JMeter because the
exact same dependency information would be used to compile and test beforehand.

> I assume that the main build and release procedures would be unaffected?
> Is that correct?

I've looked oven the Ant build, the README, and the Release Creation document
on the Wiki [4].  Nothing jumps out as likely to be affected by MAT or Ivy that
wouldn't already be involved with publishing to Maven in general [3].

> Does Ivy generate source jars? Javadoc jars?
> If so, what configuration is needed?
> Can the config be re-used for the compilation phase?

No, that'd still all be up to the traditional Ant tasks.  MAT or Ivy would
reference these Jars however, and publish them along with the main artifacts.
See Attaching Multiple Artifacts in the MAT documentation [5], or the examples
in these how-to's for Ivy: [6], [7].

Ian

[1] https://community.jboss.org/wiki/GradleWhy
[2]