>I'm afraid it would take you a long while to do that in "groovy"

Just to be realistic:  MPS does not provide a debugger for JMeter
scripts "for free".
However, MPS provides reasonable APIs, so one can plug its own notion
of breakpoint/watch variable/evaluate expression.

Mbeddr team managed to integrate that with gdb, so they debug C code.
The base language for MPS is java, so integrating java would be a lot easier.

groovy/or whatever programming DSL might be suitable for powerful
users (the ones who know what they are doing).
MPS might be good for non-programmers as it does not provide user a
way to type free-text.
All that you type is accepted only if the particular element was designed.

E.g. my prototype defined "http sampler", thus when I type "http
sampler", MPS recognizes it because "http sampler" is valid in given
context.
For instance, it does not recognize "http sampler" under "http
sampler". Nor it lists that in the autocomplete menu.

I expect that should be easier for newbies than "free text programming".

Vladimir