On Thu, Feb 21, 2019 at 10:39 AM sebb <seb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Feb 2019 at 05:12, Vladimir Sitnikov
> <sitnikov.vladi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > >What's the level of complexity ?
> >
> > It can be done by infra.
> > The formal vote for the migration should pass.
> >

> > I don't think JMeter needs advanced SVN features (e.g. fine-grained
> access
> > control, externals, locks, partial directory checkout, and so on)
> >
> > It even looks like modern SVN client can work with Git repositories (I
> > haven't used SVN for a while though)
> >
> > Here's how Apache Subversion migrated their code:
> >
> > >Are there any risks ?
> >
> > None of my knowledge
>
> The risk is that Git has a completely different approach to source control.
> It needs a different mindset.
> In many cases there is no direct mapping of SVN commands to Git commands.
> There will be a steep learning curve.

I agree git is more complex but it is also more popular now and provides
powerful features.
And I think that in the team we all know git (at least to be able to do
what we currently do with svn).

> It also needs more local storage.
> (Yes, there are ways round this, but they can cause other issues)
>
> The main differences I have encountered are:
> - it does not support SVN variables such as $Revision:$ (does JMeter
> still use those?)

We do but we can drop that.

> - EOL handling is different. This may be an issue as some JMeter file
> types need to have a specific EOL (LF or CRLF).

Will this not work:
https://blog.subgit.com/line-endings-handling-in-svn-git-and-subgit/

> - a commit message cannot be changed. This is both good (cannot
> corrupt history) and bad (cannot correct the log or add a CVE tag to a
> commit log)

How do other team proceed as it's a mandatory step of security remediation
for CVE.

> - commit history can get very noisy if people don't resync with the
> origin before pushing changes

I guess we would be using :

   - master branch for live version (5.1 as of now)
   - develop for nightly
   - feature branch

> That's not to say it should not be used.
>
> Whilst conversion of an SVN repo is mostly automatic (*),
> conversion of developer habits and expectations is another matter, and
> the effort should not be underestimated.

I think we all use GIT today on a frequent basis, we already in the team
interact with Github (we propose PRs).
I see no blocker for migration.
On the contrary, we would gain time merging PRs.

<https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/50.69454/3.16455>