Hello,

First of all thank you all for keeping jmeter alive and thriving with new
features, doing changes, updates, planning for new versions, constantly looking
for ways to improve. In particular to Vladimir who seems to be the one
investing more time in the latest releases.

Now, to the main matter of this email:

In JMeter 5.6.1 (a patch version) the default encoding for http samplers has
been changed from the OS default one to UTF-8. Here is the pr:
https://github.com/apache/jmeter/pull/6010

I have seen, and some people have mentioned to me as well, test plans starting
to fail due to relying in OS encoding and the server, and request, being
sensitive to such cases.

Shouldn't we consider this a non backwards compatible change, since existing
test plans stop working and need to change to be able to use JMeter 5.6.1?

I agree that in the long term the default one should be UTF-8, and in general
should always be a good practice to set the proper encoding instead of relying
in OS defaults which are brittle.

Should we consider rolling back this change and release a patch version with
such change, and plan for JMeter 6 (that I have seen has started to be
discussed) to use UTF-8 as default encoding?

I would like again to thank everyone for the great work, and I hope I can help
in some other way than reporting issues not in the best time (before the
release is done).

Regards