Joshua has a few external tools:

The following are used by the decoder:
- BerkeleyLM (Java)
- KenLM (C++)

The following are used only when building models:
- Thrax: grammar extractor used for building phrase tables / translation models
- Hadoop: used by Thrax
- GIZA++: used for aligning parallel text
- symal: used by GIZA++ (words → integers)

I added these at one point to make it easier to use Joshua, but I think that it
would actually be good to remove GIZA++, symal, and Hadoop, and require the
user to set them up. This could be part of a general push to make Joshua more
end-user friendly, i.e., the expectation of things being easy only exists for
users (who are likely use language packs).

I don't know Maven that well, but if that's a better tool and it seems stable,
I would not be opposed to switching to it.

matt