2009/2/20 Jochen Theodorou <blackd...@gmx.org>:
> If you distribute your GPL incompatible program without the lib and the user
> is required to install that lib to run your program then GPL nethusiast will
> most probably still say your program has to be under GPL.
>
> To argue that there could exist a ABI compatible program doesn't count, it
> has to exist.

And in the case of readline, the ABI compatible library does exist,
and on some systems, is installed as libreadline (MacOS, possibly
*BSD) instead of the GPLed version.  Its just linux that is crippled
with a GPLed version of libreadline.

> in short: better not use readline ;)

In short, we're not.  We're using libeditline, or the subset of the
libeditline API that is also backwards compatible with the legacy
libreadline library.

Of course, this arguing is kinda moot with jline, since it does not
link to readline at all :)