2009/5/14 Charles Oliver Nutter <charles.nut...@sun.com>:
> Anyone have any objections to disabling id2ref when ObjectSpace is not
> enabled? Right now, in order to support this, we have to start tracking a
> weak reference to the object whenever you request #object_id. Since most
> people don't actually use that ID for anything other than a number, we could
> conceivably just return the object's natural hash code if id2ref wasn't
> enabled.

Can we leave this until 1.4 ?  Nokogiri uses id2ref to map from a
pointer to a ruby object.  Since this usage is going to be pretty
common in FFI, I can make a specific api for it, but thats not going
to happen overnight.

Besides .. you need to leave some of the performance bullets in the
magazine for future releases :)