Up until a commit yesterday, a "java_require" line was *required* in
the file so it would know what .rb file to load to prepare your
"MyRubyClass" on the Ruby side of things. But I committed a change
yesterday so that if there's no java_require, it will actually produce
a free-standing .class.

Can you give it a try with last night's build (or a current build from master)?

http://ci.jruby.org/snapshots