Sorry for picking a small part to comment but I need more time to read and answer the other parts.

so a typical maven dependency is

<version>3.0.1</version>

but maven might use version 4.0.0 instead depending on the dependency
hull. but in can be the other way around as well and maven choose
version 2.0.5

What I meant is that you're only sure that it should work with 3.0.1 since that is the version it was tested against. If Maven is going to resolve to any other versions you can't be sure that it will still work and sometimes it won't.

That is why I prefer the Bundler approach.