Ok folks...the branching off of 1.7 is coming very soon, and I think
one of the biggest ticket items we need to do before then is reorg the
codebase like we want to see it in the future. Failing to do this
before branching will massively complicated merging changes back.

I have a few proposals.

* Mavenizing.

I know this will elicit groans from many people, but it has become
more and more of a hassle to keep versions in sync and manage the
repository with all our external dependencies. If we were 100%
maven-based for build, all dependencies would live outside the repo
(not as repo-bloating binaries) and we'd always be able to generate a
current snapshot. I think we need to do this.

Making this change should eliminate build_lib and much of our ant build scripts.

* Reorg upgradable extensions into their own src trees or repositories.

I'm thinking of pieces like openssl, psych, readline. Some extensions
are already in their own repositories and we just copy them in, like
json. We could proceed with this one of two ways:

Via maven layout: src/main, src/openssl, src/psych, etc.

Via separate repositories: jruby/openssl, jruby/psych (or just in
psych proper), etc.

I'd like to get as many exts and stdlib separated out as possible.

Making this change could move most of org.jruby.ext.* out of the main
repository and would make managing and upgrading ext and stdlib
easier.

* Remove C ext support to an external repository and gem

I'm playing with this locally, and there aren't many dependencies from
JRuby proper back into C ext code. It stands alone pretty well.

Who knows...spinning it off might make it more likely third-party
folks will continue to update and improve it.

Removing it will eliminate the org.jruby.cext package and the cext
dir, plus any build and test artifacts related to cext.

Anything else?

- Charlie