Simply put: JQuery did not exist at the time as a viable alternative, and Dirk,
who wrote the templates, just was more familiar with Mootools.  Since then,
nobody has cared enough to change the default template to use anything else
(despite several people promising that they'd contribute a new default template
;-).

(JQuery is very popular these days - too popular even; at work we're often
interviewing people who claim to know Javascript but when we ask them to make a
really simple effect *without* JQuery they get all confused and teary-eyed.)

/Janne