The way JSPWiki currently works is optimized for a setup where you have :
* one jspwiki instance in tomcat
* write access to tomcat's lib directory

If you miss one of these, you have to do something withing the exploded war
to get the properties file on the classpath.
In that case I would recommend to put the jspwiki-custom.properties in the
./webapp/JSPWiki/WEB-INF/classes folder. That way it is easy
visible/editable (as opposed to "hiding" it in the JSPWiki.jar). I just did
a minor correction on the wiki for that.

kind regards,
Harry