Hi,

well, after requesting it, seems that ASF's CMS doesn't support having git
as backend, so I've been this couple of days exploring alternatives.

Other projects having their site stored on git build their site so that it
gets generated on an specific folder (content) on an specific branch
(asf-site). For me, Apache guacamole website git's repo (
https://github.com/apache/incubator-guacamole-website) contains the most
clear explanation on what is expected on the ASF-infra side for a project
wanting to host its site on a git repo.

As the jspwiki-site git repo has already been created, already stores
site's sources, and I really thought it would be better to have all under
git rather than a mix of svn and git, went ahead and looked around for
other alternatives beyond ASF's CMS. Found JBake, and I was able to
generate an static site reusing almost all the source from the CMS, with
little effort. After all, this site is meant to serve as backup when we
switch to JSPWiki itself as the main site.

I've pushed two branches at jspwiki-site: jbake and asf-site. The former
contains the source and instructions on how to build and test the site
locally (mvn clean jbake:inline, but please take a look at it), whereas the
latter is an orphan branch containing the generated site. If we are happy
changing from CMS to a JBake generated site, we could set up a CI job
responsible of publishing the site whenever the repo is changed (ci.sh file
on the jbake repo). Apache Incubator or Apache Guacamole operate this way.

I'm +1 on moving the site to git+jbake, as I find it way less cumbersome
than operating with the CMS bookmarklet, and also knowing that it is a
short term migration; whether we stay with this site or not, it's meant to
be used as backup in case anything happens to the
yet-to-come-but-in-the-near-future JSPWiki-based site.

Opinions, other options, WDYT?

br,
juan pablo