Dave,

Currently, the broker expects each producer request to specify the exact
partition id (-1 is on longer valid). The mapping from a message to a
partition is done at the producer client. The producer can choose a random
partition (from the existing list of partitions) or deterministically
choose a partition based on the key.

Thanks,

Jun