On Jun 24, 2013, at 9:41 AM, Jay Kreps <jay.kr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Sam,
>
> That's great. I would be happy to act as a point of contact if any
> questions come up or you need a reviewer for patches.

Great, I have a few patches outstanding, so if you could take a look:

> We haven't had an official discussion of roadmap but trunk already has
> support for keyed messages and log compaction and a cleanup of the log
> code. I think the goal would be to make this release as small and
> quick as possible with any bigger disruptive features going into 0.9.

So the plan is to base 0.8.1 on trunk?

> Here are some ideas of things that I think would fit well:
> 1. Any good housekeeping issues. 0.8 was a pretty major rewrite and
> getting that done and stable required ignoring a lot of basic issues
> that impact the out-of-the-box experience---good errors,
> documentation, logging, etc. We haven't filed a lot of JIRAs for this,
> but anything you see that falls under this umbrella would be a good
> target. Doing a few of these is often a good way to learn the code
> base.

Mostly what I have been trying to do - some classes could probably also use
some splitting up. I'll continue down this path.

> 2. Quotas. Jonathan had proposed working on this, but I don't think he
> ever got the time. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-656
> 3. Phase 2 of this wiki:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Offset+Management

For us 3 seems definitely more valuable than 2. We'd also really like to have
support for deleting topics (i.e. continue work on
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-330) and would potentially want to
change the build so it creates separate server and client artifacts.

/Sam