Chris commented in another thread about the poor compression performance in
0.8, even with snappy.

Indeed if I run the linear log write throughput test on my laptop I see
75MB/sec with no compression and 17MB/sec with snappy.

This is a little surprising as snappy claims 200MB round-trip performance
(compress + uncompress) from java. So what is going on?

Well you may remember I actually filed a bug a while back on all the
inefficient byte copying in the compression path (KAFKA-527). I didn't
think too much of it, other than it is a bit sloppy, since after all
computers are good at copying bytes, right?

Turns out not so much, if you look at a profile of the standalone log test
you see that with no compression 80% of the time goes to FileChannel.write,
which is reasonable since that is what a log does.

But with snappy enabled only 5% goes to writing data, 50% of the time goes
to byte copying and allocation, and only about 22% goes to actual
compression and decompression (with lots of misc stuff in their I haven't
bothered to tally).

If someone was to optimize this code path I think we could take a patch in
0.8.1. It shouldn't be too hard, just using the backing array on the byte
buffer and avoiding all the input streams, output streams, byte array
output streams, and intermediate message blobs.

I summarized this along with how to reproduce the test results here:

-Jay