+1

I might be wrong here, but here are few of my assumptions..

1. Unlike transactional services, in Kafka most of the users are application
users, so once the connection is established, then they are going to be long
running sessions. So the caching is more predictable and heavy lifting can be
done during initial session setup and cache can be frequently updated using
background thread. KSQL might have a different flow, but I don't have enough
datapoints for it.
2. For publish/consume authorization calls, providing async option will be
misleading for Kafka like load
3. For admin calls, hopefully no one does hundreds of call in multiple thread
within few seconds. This would be a bad design.

So I feel, we should be okay with sync calls for now. And consider async in the
future if needed. At least in Apache Ranger implementation, we would be okay
using sync operation. I am not sure if any other plugin implementation would
benefit from async implementation.

Thanks

Bosco