Hey Harsha,

> If we want to go with making this an option and providing a tool which
abstracts moving the broker to end preferred leader list , it needs to do
it for all the partitions that broker is leader for. As said in the above
comment a broker i.e leader for 1000 partitions we have to this for all the
partitions.  Instead of having a blacklist will help simplify this process
and we can provide monitoring/alerts on such list.

Sorry, I thought that part of the reasoning for not using reassignment was
to optimize the process.

> Do you mind shedding some light what issue you are talking to propose a
KIP for?

The issue I was talking about is the one I quoted in my previous reply. I
understand that you want to have a way of running a "shallow" replica of
sorts - one that is lacking the historical data but has (and continues to
replicate) the latest data. That is the goal of setting the last offsets
for all partitions in replication-offset-checkpoint, right?

Thanks,
Stanislav

--
Best,