On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 2:16 PM Jun Rao <j...@confluent.io> wrote:

> [...]
> 100. It would be useful to think through how to support SASL scram in the
> new world. If the only broker listener is SASL scram, we need to bootstrap
> the scram credential in each broker before we can start the broker.
> Currently, this can be done by adding the scram credential in ZK first and
> then start the brokers. It's not clear how this works when the metadata
> service is part of the brokers.
> [...]

Without wishing to derail the discussion here, I wrote KIP-506 a while ago
which raises some other issues with setting SCRAM credentials via the Admin
interface, though I admit I overlooked the bootstrapping problem. This
makes me wonder whether trying to set SCRAM credentials via the Admin
interface is the wrong approach. Perhaps a tool which could be run within
the controller quorum (similar to the existing script) is the only way to
provide equivalent security.

Cheers,

Tom