Hello Richard,

Thanks for the KIP, I just have one clarification regarding "So the idea is
to set the base timestamp to the delete horizon and adjust the deltas
accordingly." My understanding is that during compaction, for each
compacted new segment, we would set its base offset of each batch as the
delete horizon, which is the "current system time that cleaner has seen so
far", and adjust the delta timestamps of each of the inner records of the
batch (and practically the deltas will be all negative)?

If that's case, could we do some back of the envelope calculation on what's
the possible smallest case of deltas? Note that since we use varInt for
delta values for each record, the smaller the negative delta, that would
take more bytes to encode.

Guozhang

--
-- Guozhang