Hey Tom,

Bringing over the conversation from KIP-500 and also adding my
observations. Let me capture them in points.

1. Perhaps I'm a bit aggressive in introducing new features but I'm not
sure if we need sasl.scram.password.change.enabled. As I understand it
controls whether your can use the AdminClient API or not. I think we should
enable it by default and control it with a strict ACL.
2. On this note I think we should include ACLs too. In KIP-373 (
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-373%3A+Allow+users+to+create+delegation+tokens+for+other+users)
I'll introduce User resource types so perhaps we can take that as an
example.
3. To recap KIP-500 I think it would be useful to decouple Zookeeper
entirely in this case from the server side. So we would just think about
Zookeeper as a pluggable key management system, just as we do it with
authorization. That way we solve the zookeeper connection problem. I think
it would be useful to think of it this way as opposed to having only the
controller(s) control this information too. The reasoning for this is that
this way we can then outsource typical problems to the provider (like
caching, securely distributing and storing keys in memory). So every broker
would be connected to this key provider and they interact with via an
interface, just as the authorizer does. At some point when KIP-500 is in a
later phase we can extract this "Zookeeper implementation" to a separated
module so it will be entirely decoupled or we can replace it with an actual
key management system and authorizer.
The other alternative is that we can write a protocol which distributes the
SCRAM info among brokers. In this case though you'd have to think about the
problems mentioned earlier which can be a bigger development and
maintenance overhead.

What do you think?

Viktor