On Mon, Oct 21, 2019, at 15:52, M. Manna wrote:
> Hello Colin,
>
> The KIP looks concise. My comments are below.
>
> replica.fetch.max.bytes is relevant when there is replication involved, so
> I am trying to understand how fetch.max.bytes for a broker will play a role
> here. Apologies for any limited assumptions (always trying to catchup with
> Kafka :).

Hi M. Manna,

Thanks for taking a look.

replica.fetch.max.bytes is only used to control how big the fetches that the
replicas make to other brokers are.  It does not act as an upper limit on the
size of inbound fetches made by Kafka consumers.  It is only involved in the
fetch requests that the broker itself initiates.

> Also, would you kindly suggest how (or if ) the traditional performance
> tests are affected due to this change?
> Regards,

There shouldn't be any effect at all, since the upper limit that we are setting
is higher than the limit which the consumer sets by default.  The main goal
here is to prevent clients from setting values which don't really make sense,
not to find the optimum value.  The optimum value will depend somewhat on how
fast the cluster's disks are, and other factors.

best,
Colin