At LinkedIn we run a style of "read-only" interceptor we call an observer.
We use this for usage monitoring.
https://github.com/linkedin/kafka/commit/a378c8980af16e3c6d3f6550868ac0fd5a58682e

There is always a tension between exposing internals, creating stable
interfaces and performance.  It's understandable that upstream feels uneasy
about this type of change.

For us, the observer has become an essential tool, so we're ok if we need
to update code.

Personally, I would like to argue that a general interceptor framework
would have been valuable from the very beginning.  Since one didn't exist,
we've had to find one-off solutions for a few different problems.  A few
examples that may have fit in there include up/down convert formats,
authorizer, quotas, transaction coordinator, idempotent producer, etc.  Ok,
ok, I'm overreaching, but you get the idea.  The chain of processes that a
message/request goes through are basically interceptors, and we have
decided that instead of a generic framework, we prefer to do the one-offs.

Nacho

--
Nacho - Ignacio Solis - iso...@igso.net