Hi, Harsha,

Thanks for the reply.

40/41. I am curious which block storages you have tested. S3 seems to be
one of the popular block stores. The concerns that I have with pull based
approach are the following.
(a) Cost: S3 list object requests cost $0.005 per 1000 requests. If you
have 100,000 partitions and want to pull the metadata for each partition at
the rate of 1/sec. It can cost $0.5/sec, which is roughly $40K per day.
(b) Semantics: S3 list objects are eventually consistent. So, when you do a
list object request, there is no guarantee that you can see all uploaded
objects. This could impact the correctness of subsequent logics.
(c) Efficiency: Blindly pulling metadata when there is no change adds
unnecessary overhead in the broker as well as in the block store.

So, have you guys tested S3? If so, could you share your experience in
terms of cost, semantics and efficiency?

Jun