Hey Gwen, per the KIP, the depreciation plan will take a few releases.
Copied here:

Phase 1 (targeting next Apache Kafka release): All MirrorMaker 2.0 Java
code is added to ./connect/mirror/.

Phase 2 (subsequent release): Legacy MirrorMaker Scala code is deprecated,
but kept in place. Sample MM2 scripts and configuration files are added to
./bin/ and ./config/.

Phase 3 (subsequent release): Legacy MirrorMaker Scala code is removed from
Apache Kafka. A new ./bin/kafka-mirror-maker.sh script is provided which
replaces and emulates the legacy script.

Accordingly, let's plan to expand the documentation in the next release,
and then remove the legacy documentation in Phase 3. At present, the
existing documentation is still accurate.

Ryanne