Hello Kafka devs,

I just created this JIRA to resolve a Kafka compatibility problem with
OpenJ9-based Java versions >= 9:

Since this is my first JIRA on Kafka, I hope that I have fed all
needed informations.

I have specified that this issue is for Kafka 2.1.x and above release, because :
1. Before Kafka 2.1.0, Java 11 support was not official
2. Who cares about Java 9 & Java 11 support since these versions are
not LTS (Long Term Support) ones?

I also proposed a fix in myJIRA  ticket, and I could do the PR if
somebody could help me to avoid getting lost in branches :) or if some
super clear contributor documentation exists to make per-branches PRs
not a too risky game.

Please also note that this issue does also impacts IBM AIX users using
Java >=9, because on AIX, Java is also based on OpenJ9 JVM.

Kind regards,
Alexandre Vermeerbergen