Hi Boyang,
The Kafka clusters we manage are multi-tenant clusters hosting anywhere from
hundreds to a few thousand different workloads on any given cluster.

For our setup, we have noticed that the breaking limit wrt partition count is
around 10k partitions per broker. Beyond this point, we start seeing
significant replication slowness, election slowness, issues around too many
files opened etc

The type of workloads on our clusters that would benefit from the proposal
outlined in this KIP are

*Bursty workloads such as workloads that flood the topic once an hour and need
to be processed quickly within a strict time window
*Workloads that are using topics as simple queues (stateless and don’t care
about ordering within a partition)
*Stream processing workloads where parallelism is driven by the number of input
topic partitions

Currently, we are over provisioning partitions to efficiently serve these
workloads which results in significant under-utilization of the respective
clusters.

Additionally, we are also seeing quite a few workloads that are relying on the
partition level ordering guarantees today and are filtering out the keys they
don’t care about on the client side. These workloads would benefit from the key
level ordering proposed in KIP-X and result in much simpler application logic
for clients.

Let me know if this helps and if you have any further questions
Rangan