Dear All,

I would like to raise a feature request for ‘prefixless’ topic
mirroring with MirrorMaker2 (see detailed description below).

As after quite a few tries I am not 100% sure, could you please
confirm that by now
the ‘prefixless’ mirroring is not supported and that my feature
request is valid? I would then file it in JIRA.

Best regards,

Marcin

Feature Request

We would like to use MirrorMaker2 as a DRP solution for a simple setup
with two sites working in active-passive configuration
where all topics are always mirrored in one direction only and the
downstream topics keep their original names, i.e., without being
prefixed by MirrorMaker2.

After a few rounds of 'trial and error' we came up with a customized
replication policy which, although hacky, seems to fulfill our need;
it is presented in stackoverflow here:
https://stackoverflow.com/a/60619233
and source code is available here:
https://github.com/mawileo/mm2-prefixless-policy/blob/feature/prefixless/src/main/java/ch/mawileo/kafka/mm2/PrefixlessReplicationPolicy.java

This solution is 'hacky' in that it violates specification for the
topicSource and upstreamTopic methods as expressed in javadoc of the
ReplicationPolicy interface.

That makes us suspect that MirrorMaker2 has been never meant to work
in such a configuration and that our solution may stop
working with future releases of Kafka.

We would like then to ask for making the possibility of 'prefixless'
topic mirroring in a simplified two-cluster setup a standard
feature of Kafka Mirror Maker 2.