Hi All,

I'd like to start a discussion on KIP-595:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-595%3A+A+Raft+Protocol+for+the+Metadata+Quorum.
This proposal specifies a Raft protocol to ultimately replace Zookeeper as
documented in KIP-500. Please take a look and share your thoughts.

A few minor notes to set the stage a little bit:

- This KIP does not specify the structure of the messages used to represent
metadata in Kafka, nor does it specify the internal API that will be used
by the controller. Expect these to come in later proposals. Here we are
primarily concerned with the replication protocol and basic operational
mechanics.
- We expect many details to change as we get closer to integration with
the controller. Any changes we make will be made either as amendments to
this KIP or, in the case of larger changes, as new proposals.
- We have a prototype implementation which I will put online within the
next week which may help in understanding some details. It has diverged a
little bit from our proposal, so I am taking a little time to bring it in
line. I'll post an update to this thread when it is available for review.

Finally, I want to mention that this proposal was drafted by myself, Boyang
Chen, and Guozhang Wang.

Thanks,
Jason