Yeah, the specific reason was just to align with the current metrics.

Is it better to conform than to be right? History has a lot to say on that
matter
but I'm not sure how much of it applies to the fine details of metrics
naming :P

More seriously, I figured if people are looking at this metric they're
likely to
be looking at all the others. Then naming this one "-mean" would probably
lead some to conclude that the "-avg" suffix in the other metrics has a
different meaning.

As for the percentiles, I actually like p99 (and p75) better. I'll swap
that out