Just checked etcd and zookeeper code, and both support leader to step down
as a follower to make sure there are no two leaders if the leader has been
disconnected from the majority of the followers
For etcd this is https://github.com/etcd-io/etcd/issues/3866
For Zookeeper its https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZOOKEEPER-1699
I was just thinking if it would be difficult to implement in the Pull based
model, but I guess not. It is possibly the same way ISR list is managed
currently, if leader of the controller quorum loses majority of the
followers, it should step down and become follower, that way, telling
client in time that it was disconnected from the quorum, and not keep on
sending state metadata to clients.

Thanks,
Unmesh