Thanks Robert and Ryanne for the feedback.

ReplicaAssignor implementations can throw an exception to indicate an
assignment can't be computed. This is already what the current round
robin assignor does. Unfortunately at the moment, there are no generic
error codes if it fails, it's either INVALID_PARTITIONS,
INVALID_REPLICATION_FACTOR or worse UNKNOWN_SERVER_ERROR.

So I think it would be nice to introduce a new Exception/Error code to
cover any failures in the assignor and avoid UNKNOWN_SERVER_ERROR.

I've updated the KIP accordingly, let me know if you have more questions.