Hey Guozhang & Leah,

I want to push back a bit on the assumption that we would fall back on this
config
in the case of an unspecified window size in a Streams serde. I don't think
it should
be a default at all, either in name or in effect. To borrow the rhetorical
question that
John raised earlier: what is the default window size of an application?

Personally, I agree that that doesn't make much sense. Sure, if you only
have a single
windowed operation in your app then you could just specify the window size
by config,
but how is that any more ergonomic than specifying the window size in the
Serde's
constructor? If anything, it seems worse to put physical and mental
distance between
the specification and the actual usage of such parameters. What if you add
another
windowed operation later, with a different size, and forget to specify the
new size in
the new Serde? Or what if you never specify a default window size config at
all and
accidentally end up using the default config value of Long.MAX_VALUE?
Avoiding this
possibility was/is one of the main motivations of this KIP, and the whole
point of
deprecating the TimeWindowedSerde(innerClass) constructor.

I actually would have advocated to remove this config entirely, but as John
pointed
out, we still need it to configure things like the console consumer